The Shrine was established by Fr. Thomas August Judge, C.M. in 1924 as a place for residents of the Northeast to be renewed in their faith and sent out as missionaries in the providence of their everyday life. A place to grow in understanding that every Catholic is an apostle; leaven for the world. The Shrine is operated by the religious community that Fr. Judge founded, the Missionary Servants of the Most Holy Trinity.

The Shrine is a “Mission Center”, a place of learning, celebrating, healing and sending. As a Mission Center the religious and lay staff minister under the Missionary Servant Rule of Life which states: “Our specific mission is the preservation of the faith in those areas and among those people who are spiritually neglected and abandoned, especially the poor. Our chief effort is to develop a missionary spirit in the laity, with the goal that every Catholic be an apostle.”